Usually when I go to vote, I am greeted by a handful of people from my neighborhood, some of whom I know personally. I check in, sign the register, vote, and go on my way sporting my "I Voted Today" sticker. Today was a little different. For one thing, my polling place had changed. I received no notice of this in the mail and I don't take the newspaper, so luckily I decided to check online last night. Several precincts were combined into one polling location.When I arrived, it was difficult to find a parking place, but I attributed that to voting on a busy university campus. As I went into the building which was marked with a small pink "VOTING" sign, I noticed an elderly man with a book of names. I started to approach him and then a woman who was standing nearby said, "The line is back there." I looked behind her and sure enough, a line at least as long as a football field came into view. My first thought was, "Boy did I pick the wrong time to come!" I kept wondering if this was really the line for the Primary election, or if something else was going on in the building. I walked past people from all walks of life--young college students who were likely voting for the first time, young mothers with babies and toddlers swarming around them, women talking on cell phones, men discussing the growing problem of insurance fraud, elderly couples with canes--everyone calmly waiting for his or her turn to cast a vote.
As I settled into my place in line I thought about everything else I had to do. I had even left my "waiting book" in the car, thinking I would be back out in just a few minutes. Was voting really worth all this trouble? Should I throw in the towel and leave it up to the rest of crowd to speak for me? A friend with her 3 children in tow who had arrived just before I did announced that she was not staying and would try to come back later. I was really tempted to do the same, but would it be easier to come back? I was alone and had no pressing engagements for the remainder of the afternoon, so I decided to stay. I looked at the walls. I eavesdropped on people who were talking on their phones. I thought about dinner and how hungry I was. I wished for something to read or do or eat. My feet hurt.
After awhile my thoughts turned to the reason I was there. I'm not sure why it took so long. I am inherently impatient. Here I was, a young woman who had a chance to voice my opinion about the person I wanted to have on the ballot for elections in November. My voice would be heard and my vote would make a difference. How many others like me in the world were consistently denied this opportunity? How much had been sacrificed to afford me this voice? How much blood had been shed in the world over this very act? How could I give up over such a simple thing as waiting in line?
I began to think about the person for whom I intended to vote. Was this the best choice for me and my family? For my country? I felt it was. By the time I made it to the front of the line I felt grateful for the opportunity to be there and I felt assured in my choice of a candidate. I confidently gave my name, signed on the dotted line, and cast my electronic vote. As I left, the harried election judge quickly took my card and handed me a sticker. I placed it on and with a smile on my face left for home. A home that is safe from tyranny, where I may do as I please. A home that is free to be a heaven on earth. I voted today!
6 comments:
I understand the lines were due to the county clerk greatly underestimating the turnout and the state underfunding the primary election. I voted before work in the morning. I was the 13th person to sign in and had was there less than three minutes. The early morning strategy usually pays off with no waiting although when they first got the electronic machines I was unable to vote in the morning and had to reschedule my afternoon to vote that time.
Very inspiring! You are a great example. My love for America has grown this past month. America, the beautiful. I heard Romney pulled out. I think it showed his maturity. I wish he could have been president.
Way to go Julia.
I am glad that you voted even though it took so long. I still think that yours and dads votes should count for ten people though. I am glad that we live in a country where we have some say in who is our president. It is very good to vote.
Susan-Grace is the one who is making the comment at this moment.The last two paragraphs were beautiful! They almost made me cry. I've almost never thought of all the little things I could do to help my county and how much others have given up in their love for their country. Even though I live in Korea now, I will remain true to the United States of America throughout my life
when I herd that there was a long line it reminded me of when we where at lotto world and sat in one hour lines. I am sad my family does not get to vote. I was so exsited this morning when susan-grace told me that you had a blog I feel so bad for you. glad you got to vote miriam
Post a Comment